Summer is finally here which means long, hot days and (for some) longer, sleepless nights. It is recommended that the optimum room temperature for sleep is around 16degrees Celsius, so if you find your sleep patterns are being affected by the summer heat, worry not as there are plenty of ways you can make sure you keep cool at night and get the zzz’s you need.
- Avoid alcohol – the summer months may feel like a time to indulge, but alcohol disrupts the quality of your sleep and increases dehydration.
- Place pillowcases and sheets into the freezer for an hour or so before you go to bed. This will keep them cooler for longer and should help you to fall asleep faster.
- Invest in a fan or air conditioner to circulate air around the bedroom.
- Pick up a summer duvet or simply use sheets as a cover.
- Avoid exercise in the evenings as this will raise your body temperature and make it harder for you to cool down at night.
- Keep curtains or blinds closed in rooms which get the most sunlight during the later part of the day.
- Opening several windows in the home will encourage a cool breeze to circulate through the rooms. Be careful with this tip, however, as it might not be an advisable option for those at higher risk of burglary.
- Cool your body down by having a lukewarm shower before bed, or by soaking your wrists in a bowl or sink of ice-cold water. This will help to lower your body temperature as the veins in your wrist adapt to the temperature of the water.
- Turn all electrical devices off on the wall to reduce any heat production in the bedroom.
- Invest in a mattress which is designed to keep you cool.
If you would like to find out more about how the REM-Fit Cool Gel Hybrid mattress can help you to get a better night’s rest, please get in touch with our experienced, knowledgeable staff by calling 020 8731 0020 or email us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget, you can stay updated by liking our Facebook page.